Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you feel a post was made in violation in one or more of the Forum Rules of Advent Talk, then please click on the link provided and give a reason for reporting the post.  The Admin Team will then review the reported post and the reason given, and will respond accordingly.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Help Wanted: Chief Financial Officer - factually challenging position  (Read 38631 times)

inga

• The Sabbath School Network
Re: Help Wanted: Chief Financial Officer - factually challenging position
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2008, 01:13:39 PM »

I think I remember that too, Johann.  But what I don't understand is if she has a visa problem, why doesn't he?  Didn't they come to the U.S. together?
Well, I have a visa problem, and my hubby doesn't. Nothing strange about that at all.

I believe it would be wise for us who believe ourselves to be on the side of justice and morality to observe the Golden Rule.

I know it's difficult in a situation like this, but I also believe it's worth a bit of effort. :)
Visit http://ssnet.org The Sabbath School Network to see our new look and much more content. And leave us a message. :)

Johann

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2008, 01:37:21 PM »

It  is good to get that explanation.

Chrissie

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2008, 02:03:51 PM »

I think I remember that too, Johann.  But what I don't understand is if she has a visa problem, why doesn't he?  Didn't they come to the U.S. together?
Well, I have a visa problem, and my hubby doesn't. Nothing strange about that at all.

Thank you for that Inga. One would expect that both halves of a couple would be in the same classification, so thank you for that.

Snoopy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2008, 02:41:44 PM »

I wasn't trying to cast aspersions, Inga - just asking a simple question and trying to understand the situation.  I know nothing about visas and how they work, so perhaps you could enlighten me with a bit more detail.  If two people are both Canadian (I am assuming that about the Ewings) but plan to move to and work in the U.S. concurrently, what might cause one to have a problem and one to not?  Is your situation similar to the Ewings? 

I believe it would be wise for us who believe ourselves to be on the side of justice and morality to observe the Golden Rule.

I know it's difficult in a situation like this, but I also believe it's worth a bit of effort. :)

inga

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2008, 03:50:01 PM »

I wasn't trying to cast aspersions, Inga - just asking a simple question and trying to understand the situation.  I know nothing about visas and how they work, so perhaps you could enlighten me with a bit more detail.  If two people are both Canadian (I am assuming that about the Ewings) but plan to move to and work in the U.S. concurrently, what might cause one to have a problem and one to not?  Is your situation similar to the Ewings? 

I have no idea whether or not my situation is similar. I'm a naturalized Canadian. My husband has dual citizenship. We have very different visa/passport problems. The country of origin makes a difference, and there may be other factors as well for others.

My husband can work in the US any time he chooses. By contrast, it is very difficult for me to get a working visa or green card. (Lots of hoops to jump through & significant legal fees. They wouldn't even let me visit him when he was in the US!!)
Visit http://ssnet.org The Sabbath School Network to see our new look and much more content. And leave us a message. :)

Gailon Arthur Joy

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2008, 06:37:46 PM »

I have no idea whether or not my situation is similar. I'm a naturalized Canadian. My husband has dual citizenship. We have very different visa/passport problems. The country of origin makes a difference, and there may be other factors as well for others.

My husband can work in the US any time he chooses. By contrast, it is very difficult for me to get a working visa or green card. (Lots of hoops to jump through & significant legal fees. They wouldn't even let me visit him when he was in the US!!)

Our best information tells us that they both had expired visas in February and state that they did not want to deal with the Homeland security paperwork hassles.

Keep in mind, that if my department had given up thousands of documents and I were a CPA and clearly understood the implications that the filed paperwork tells, versus what the book-keeping will demonstrate to the IRS regarding the founders unchallenged use of credit card, cash advances, purchase of Founders Books, pamphlets, records that resulted in undisclosed royalties to the founder, then mix in the gifts to family members, etc and the e-bay questions; And I had a pretty good idea that I would be the scapegoat for whatever comes of all this investigative process;  I believe i would prefer a quiet retirement in the Canadian Rockies. Certainly beats dealing with the rocky road ahead to which he would be a critical player. 

And, frankly, he ought to have moved on a long time ago; and would be, and is, justified in doing so. I have heard that Larry Ewing is a fine example of a sincere missionary minded, dedicated Seventh-day Adventist chief financial officer that is a joy to work with. An outstanding example of christianity that simply let the founder go along to get along as he wanted...not to mention he was severely overworked and underpaid for the services provided. And, he was not even a member of the board??? Don't you wonder why??? Clearly not in the best interest of the founder to have an honest CFO reporting directly to the board.

Gailon Arthur Joy

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2008, 06:42:37 PM »

Hey!  Nice avatar, Johann!  Is that you??

Johann!  How handsome!
"Si me olvido de ti, oh Jerusalén, pierda mi diestra su destreza."

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2008, 06:44:35 PM »

Our best information tells us that they both had expired visas in February and state that they did not want to deal with the Homeland security paperwork hassles.

Keep in mind, that if my department had given up thousands of documents and I were a CPA and clearly understood the implications that the filed paperwork tells, versus what the book-keeping will demonstrate to the IRS regarding the founders unchallenged use of credit card, cash advances, purchase of Founders Books, pamphlets, records that resulted in undisclosed royalties to the founder, then mix in the gifts to family members, etc and the e-bay questions; And I had a pretty good idea that I would be the scapegoat for whatever comes of all this investigative process;  I believe i would prefer a quiet retirement in the Canadian Rockies. Certainly beats dealing with the rocky road ahead to which he would be a critical player. 

And, frankly, he ought to have moved on a long time ago; and would be, and is, justified in doing so. I have heard that Larry Ewing is a fine example of a sincere missionary minded, dedicated Seventh-day Adventist chief financial officer that is a joy to work with. An outstanding example of christianity that simply let the founder go along to get along as he wanted...not to mention he was severely overworked and underpaid for the services provided. And, he was not even a member of the board??? Don't you wonder why??? Clearly not in the best interest of the founder to have an honest CFO reporting directly to the board.

Gailon Arthur Joy

Thanks for clarifying that CFO information, Gailon.

It's nice to hear some nice things about Larry Ewing!
"Si me olvido de ti, oh Jerusalén, pierda mi diestra su destreza."

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2008, 07:10:56 AM »

I just saw Larry Ewing on a repeat of last Thursday's 3ABN Today Live as the 3ABN Director of Finance.

Daryl Fawcett

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member
  • Daryl & Beth
    • Maritime SDA OnLine
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2008, 07:17:25 AM »

I guess he hasn't left yet, however, from the discussion he is still leaving.

Snoopy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2008, 11:17:38 AM »

Is there any update on the CFO situation?

Gailon Arthur Joy

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2008, 07:56:39 PM »

Is there any update on the CFO situation?

Yeah, they are still looking and "it" has another mess: They lost the Illinois Tax Exemption appeal. Will have to come with half a million to cover back taxes. Sounds like what they need is a development director / fund raiser.

Links thanks to Bob- Lord only knows how they work!!!

http://www.save-3abn.com/3abn-property-tax-appeal-decision-03-31-08.htm
http://www.save-3abn.com/3abn-property-tax-appeal-decision-03-31-08-copyright.htm

Gailon Arthur Joy

« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 08:10:54 PM by Gailon Arthur Joy »

inga

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2008, 10:28:37 AM »

Yeah, they are still looking and "it" has another mess: They lost the Illinois Tax Exemption appeal. Will have to come with half a million to cover back taxes. Sounds like what they need is a development director / fund raiser.
I understood that that is James Gilley's particular strength?

Gailon Arthur Joy

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2008, 04:09:54 PM »

I understood that that is James Gilley's particular strength?

I was out of line here...I am informed that a Mr Hamilton from California has now stepped into the shoes of Mr. Ewing. We should probably add him to the Prayer Circle thread, poor soul...can you imagine the days, nights and week-ends it will take to get a handle on solutions to the dillema that he faces?

Gailon Arthur joy

Gailon Arthur Joy

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2008, 07:41:30 PM »

Say, they have not given notice of Appeal to the Illinois Supreme Court. Someone want to check on that next week and see if 3ABN feels they have had enough yet? Given the standard operating procedure, I would expect them to appeal to the Illinois Supreme Court and then seek Certiorari to the US Supreme Court.

Then there is the other tax case that they also challenged.

Anyone know where we can get a copy of the D. Michael Riva letter to the former Mayor of Thompsonville?

Gailon Arthur Joy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up