Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Click Here to Enter Maritime SDA OnLine.

Poll

Conservative SDAs want to make certain Ethnic Gospel Music appear to be more of a crime than their failing to hold errant conservative SDAs accountable for breaking the 10 commandments

This statement is true
- 1 (33.3%)
This statement is false
- 1 (33.3%)
This statement is somewhat true
- 0 (0%)
This statement is true and I know of specific examples of conservatives being guilty of this in the SDA Church
- 1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: The Uncredible SDA President Ted Wilson': Agent of Compromise and backsliding  (Read 85965 times)

Jise

For some self -styled "leaders", holiness has to do more with "non-emotional" worship, with scandalizing the valid worship of particular ethnic groups.

It is more of a crime and unholy to listen to Walter Hawkins -than to  have preachers implicated in gross atrocities -i.e. Rwanda still pastoring in the church.  I wonder what music the pastor in this link listened to?  Is he embroiled in the "debate" over emotional music which is a code word for "gospel music"?  http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5ieIfP_R8A-6wk-kh0HS-fFnw7gfQ

Should not holiness be about the sacredness of life, about the truth - as well as the substance of christian faith rather than imagined and made up rules?

Holiness is about not using Churches as instruments of furthering human atrocities - The link above talks about how the arrested pastor was complicit in the death of one of his flock -and this church member ended up being buried in the yard of the Church.  Having a church with a high preponderance of people who think emotional music is more of a crime than church members who bear false witness against others and violate the 10 commandments -is an unholy environment. A church with a high preponderance of clerics implicated fueling ethnic animousity and charged for genocide involvement - is an unholy environment.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 07:56:39 PM by Jise »

princessdi

• Veteran Member

Jise, I am impressed! What do you know about the Late Bishop Hawkins?  Now I gtos to go to youtube and take alisten to "Marvelous"!
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

Johann

Honoring Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

“We join with others in remembering the life of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. His legacy is one that moves seamlessly across borders and around the globe. May this not be just another holiday, but a day that will cause you to reflect on how far we have come as a nation, how much further we need to be, and how, like this great leader of our time, we can contribute greatly to our communities. Like Dr. King once said ‘Life's most persistent and urgent question is, What are you doing for others?' Our great work of the gospel is to help our fellow man.” – Pastor Dan Jackson, president of the 1.1 million member Seventh-day Adventist Church in North America

A message from the North American Division of the Seventh-day Adventist Church

princessdi

• Veteran Member

Nice reminder. Thanks for sharing Johann! 
It is the duty of every cultured man or woman to read sympathetically the scriptures of the world.  If we are to respect others' religions as we would have them respect our own, a friendly study of the world's religions is a sacred duty. - Mohandas K. Gandhi

mrst53

Di,
I have to agree with you.. I have read EG White,but that was years ago. I have read the New Testament and the Old Testament and Jesus NEVER said anything about the wearing of jewely or makeup. If that had been important, HE would have said so. What Jesus said was important, was being saved thru HIM, Loving our Neighbor as ourselves, and Loving God with all of our heart, soul and mind.  Once we do that, we should not have any time, to look at anyone else to see what their faults are. We have just enough time, taking care of ourselves.

Religion is MAN-MADE AND SO ARE ALL THE RULES that go along with it. That wasn't what Jesus intended when He came. He came to do away with all the rules of the Old Testament, but it seems Man can't live with just the simple rules of Jesus Christ.

tinka

• Veteran Member

Man never wrote the 10 commandamen ts. There were hand written ordinances of the old testament that were done away with but not the God given 10 commandments that people claim in wrong belief that were done away with.  Two different sets of laws.

A good question to ask is why do we wear jewelry?? It definitely is in the bible about the wearing of gold and silver and pearl and costly array. So how do we get rid of that to appease our "vanity". ?  Modest in all dress and being? Funny how some denominations other then us know exactly what that scripture means. Mennonite, Amish, and the beginning of SDA foundation that has slid into the progressive "liberal" & others.

Does anyone think that vanity and proudness of jewelry decked on our ears, fingers, hair and toes, ankles, wrists while we are to be good stewards of money given of God will enter the gates while there are humans that sometimes don't have a morsel of food, and nothing to help them to live that many can easily view everywhere?  Do you think that we won't be accountable for wasted adornment. For sure we will not take it with us if gates are open to us.  God said His people will not do this? So who are we to not practice, stewardship of our time, money, and gifts of ability? Sure we have the choice of displaying it all upon ourselves as we fit into our own characters of "pride" and "vanity". That was the purpose of not wearing it.

Religion is the "Sanctification" of God's word that one is sealed in their belief and can't be moved from truth.  "Justification" thru Jesus is the doing of your belief    and "Salvation" is the "reward".    Trinkets on body and in home may not provide the Golden Ticket. Maybe all the assets we have on this earth will be the only time we will have them??? Sort of the downfall of the richman. But...to each their own time, money, and views.

Johann

Listed below are ways some of the members of Seventh-day Adventist Church in North American are remembering the life of Dr. King:

Atlantic Union
1/17/11 – The Clergy Coalition of the 47th Precinct is sponsoring an interfaith award service recognizing the outstanding academic achievements along with community service of the youth and young adults in honor of the late Dr. Martin Luther King at the North Bronx Seventh-day Adventist Church, 3743 Bronxwood Ave, Bronx, NY. The service will begin at 5:00 p.m.

Columbia Union
1/15/11 – Join Miracle Temple Seventh-day Adventist Church at 11:00 a.m. as they welcome the First African American Chaplain of the U.S. Senate, Rear Admiral Barry Black, as he honors Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. An afternoon concert will be held at 3:15 p.m. with Mike Trotter and a book signing by Rear Admiral Black of his book “From the Hood to the Hill.” The church is located at 100 S. Rock Glen Road, Baltimore, Md.

Lake Union
1/17-20/11 – “Building the Beloved Community—From Horizon to Horizon: Global Women’s Achievements and Concerns” is the theme for the 2011 Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration at Andrews University. This year’s events will honor the life and legacy of peace-advocating civil rights activist Martin Luther King Jr. and include a variety of activities to enhance the understanding and appreciation of his service. All public events take place on the campus of Andrews University, Berrien Springs, Mich.

Mid-America Union
Elder Charles Drake president of the Central States Conference, has declared February 5 as a conference-wide “celebration/teaching” event on the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Pacific Union
1/17/11 – Pathfinders representing churches of the Southern California Conference will participate in the MLK Los Angeles, Calif., city-wide parade honoring the life of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. The parade begins at 11:00 a.m. PST.

Southern Union
1/17/11 - U.S. Rep. John Yarmuth will speak about the life and legacy of King during a service at Magazine Street Seventh-day Adventist Church, 1942 Magazine Street, Louisville, KY. The service will begin at 5:00 p.m.

1/17/11 – More than 400 students and faculty from Southern Adventist University will volunteer with 20 projects including the Chattanooga Zoo in the Chattanooga, Tenn. area. This 17th annual Community Service Day will feature the theme “Illuminating Your Sphere of Influence.”

Southwestern Union
1/17/11 – Southwest Region Youth Ministries Director Roger Wade has declared Martin Luther King Jr. Day a “Day of Service” across the five-state region. Activities will include feeding the homeless, community clean-up initiatives, and clothing distribution.

© 2010 North American Division of Seventh-day Adventists | 12501 Old Columbia Pike, Silver Spring, MD 20904.
Visit: nad.adventist.org | George Johnson Jr., communication director | Bernadine Delafield, NET evangelism coordinator | Laura Samano, editorial assistant. Email: newspoints@nad.adventist.org

christian

Did Ellen G. White get it right about Jewelry or not? Was that a Revelation from God or has the quality of Jewelry gotten better is that why it is okay now? Please folks I just want the answer for this, was she speaking of herself or was it the Holy Spirit impressing her, what do you think? Or maybe she didn't look that good in it is that why? Or maybe we have more money in which to buy it now? What say you?

Di,
I have to agree with you.. I have read EG White,but that was years ago. I have read the New Testament and the Old Testament and Jesus NEVER said anything about the wearing of jewely or makeup. If that had been important, HE would have said so. What Jesus said was important, was being saved thru HIM, Loving our Neighbor as ourselves, and Loving God with all of our heart, soul and mind.  Once we do that, we should not have any time, to look at anyone else to see what their faults are. We have just enough time, taking care of ourselves.

Religion is MAN-MADE AND SO ARE ALL THE RULES that go along with it. That wasn't what Jesus intended when He came. He came to do away with all the rules of the Old Testament, but it seems Man can't live with just the simple rules of Jesus Christ.

princessdi

• Veteran Member

Well, christian, I sure don't want ot be the one who said she didnt' know what she was talking about..........I would definitely have to run for cover.  However, I believe she spoke to some things because of times and to specific situations, and it was basicaaly subsequent "editions" of her writings which put more emphasis on certain writings because mainly it fit the corporate policy trying to be applied.  But that's just me.  i cant' speak for anyone else.  I can just speak to my relationship with God, and as I said before that is the only thing that counts now and to come on judgement day. 

Today I taught the SS class where the Pastor sits along with out new Assoc. Pastor, we all had a grand time discussing and encouraging each other in the area of "stress".

Did Ellen G. White get it right about Jewelry or not? Was that a Revelation from God or has the quality of Jewelry gotten better is that why it is okay now? Please folks I just want the answer for this, was she speaking of herself or was it the Holy Spirit impressing her, what do you think? Or maybe she didn't look that good in it is that why? Or maybe we have more money in which to buy it now? What say you?

Di,

Jise

My 2 cents for the day. I marvel at how some SDA leaders can think that Pastors who've been implicated in genocides are examples of "christianity" especially to the "western" church.

I also think that one of the current themes in adventism is this theme that can be inferred from Ted Wilson's speech and of those supporting him within the Church- is that one is more so "unchristian" based on one's ethnicity rather than based on actually what one does or whether or not one adheres to the Christian faith.

WHen you can be scandalized because you listen to gospel music, yet applauded and pointed to as an exemplary christian even though you've serially broken the 10 commandments, have born false witness against others, exploited others - and yet you're not called out by the Adventist Leadership,
-then this seems to be a theology where christians are defined based on ethnicity and/or what region of the world they come from rather than on character.

Johann

My 2 cents for the day. I marvel at how some SDA leaders can think that Pastors who've been implicated in genocides are examples of "christianity" especially to the "western" church.

Important point, but who is doing it?

I also think that one of the current themes in adventism is this theme that can be inferred from Ted Wilson's speech and of those supporting him within the Church- is that one is more so "unchristian" based on one's ethnicity rather than based on actually what one does or whether or not one adheres to the Christian faith.

Inferred but not implicit? Why is the Church in North America honoring Martin Luther King Jr.? Is that a disgrace?

WHen you can be scandalized because you listen to gospel music, yet applauded and pointed to as an exemplary christian even though you've serially broken the 10 commandments, have born false witness against others, exploited others - and yet you're not called out by the Adventist Leadership,
-then this seems to be a theology where christians are defined based on ethnicity and/or what region of the world they come from rather than on character.

When I first came to America from Europe in 1952 I experienced the opposite of what you are saying. At Andrews (then Emmanuel Missionary College) theology students were playing Gospel Music that I was not used to from Europe. I wondered how they could be so "worldly". Later I started enjoying Black Camp Meeting at Cassapolis. (Wasn't that the name of the place?)

childoftheking

Yes, Cassopolis - Camp Wagner.

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member

I'm not sure where SDA's are scandalized by "gospel music".  Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean by the term.  In the SDA church I frequent at times, people aren't scandalized by gospel music, what appears to be hard rock (christian), or any ethnic variations of church music that may come along.   
"Si me olvido de ti, oh Jerusalén, pierda mi diestra su destreza."

Artiste

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran Member

Actually, I'm a member of that church.
"Si me olvido de ti, oh Jerusalén, pierda mi diestra su destreza."

Jise

My 2 cents for the day.  One of the more "compromised" conservative members of the church wrote a piece this summer about the value of emerging out of our "ghettoes" and coming together at big GC events with other groups.  But what he failed to mention - that there can't be "community" - real genuine community - as along as moral compromise is permitted to flourish - .  
If conservatives who don't adhere to the 10 commandments - and are only defined in their conservatism by how well they mimic those of old who lynched others, enslaved others, etc. - frequent big GC events and are permitted to stay in the church regardless of the moral compromise they commit- how can there be real community- in which genuine believers are safe to worship.  The real truth is that the danger to the Church is not some person who listens to gospel music per se.  The danger to the Church is an immoral person who who wants to make listening to Gospel music more of a sin, than conservatives and others who lie, cheat, steal, bear false witness against others.  Sometimes, it's better to be among people like one's self - people who you know are christians and carry themselves with a basic sense of dignity for themselves and others.  When a Church finds more of a crime in gospel music than in its own pastors arrested for involvement in genocides, then it is really hard for persons unused to the adventist community to know what to expect from other fellow adventists when they are in "adventist community" - you can't have a genuine community as long as  this moral compromise is permitted to exist. And there are plenty of people who rightfully run from this conception of "adventist" community - not because they are 'ghettoe" - but because they are true to    christian principles.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 03:39:44 PM by Jise »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Up