Advent Talk

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Go and check out the Christians Discuss Forum for committed Christians at  http://www.christians-discuss.com

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: BREAKING NEWS -- Plea agreement reached in Tommy Shelton Case  (Read 95870 times)

Snoopy

• Veteran Member
Re: BREAKING NEWS -- Plea agreement reached in Tommy Shelton Case
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2010, 06:38:26 PM »

tinka...you crack me up!!

Some day I'd like to shake your hand!!

Snoopy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2010, 06:40:12 PM »

Can the victims change their mind before the 19th and withdraw the deal?

Gregory

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2010, 07:00:34 PM »

No.

Gregory

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2010, 07:01:58 PM »

TS can change his mind.

The judge can refuse to accept the plea deal--it sometimes happens, but not often.

mrst53

« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2010, 07:07:30 PM »

Tommy would be stupid if he did.... but considering the source.....

Adam

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2010, 07:34:59 PM »

No.
[

That is not true, Gregory, and you know it.
When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. --
Billy Graham

Adam

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2010, 07:38:03 PM »

Using your own logic Gregory, how is it fair that Tommy can change his mind, but the victims cannot? I believe you should do some better research.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 08:17:39 PM by samuelthomas »
When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. --
Billy Graham

Bob Pickle

• Defendants
  • Veteran Member
    • Pickle Publishing
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2010, 07:46:48 PM »

Bottom line? I hate child abuse, and I hate lies.

We have something in common, then. Super.

Sadly though, this case  has nothing to do with Pickle's allegations against DS and 3ABN, or the lawsuit, and yet all  here in my opinion (yet to be proved) will keep trying to make it so..

Not so.

Well these allegations didn't exist when 3ABN hired TS.

The allegations go back to at least the early 1980's, before 3ABN was founded.

They didn't even exist when TS retired from 3ABN, they have nothing to do with DS or 3ABN!

The allegations of one of the two alleged victims in Virginia were announced by Glenn Dryden in late 2006, and I reported that announcement, which then led to Danny's threats of a defamation lawsuit. It was not until after that announcement and report that Danny staged that 20+ minute globally televised tribute for alleged pedophile Tommy Shelton on Dec. 31, 2006.

Additionally, Dryden's 2003 action items asked Tommy to apologize to the Dunn Loring church for deceit and inappropriate behavior, and Danny left a message on the Ezra Church of God answering machine in response to those action items.

The courts already ruled this was all inadmissible in the lawsuit, and denied Pickles claims and motions to file them, but I am sure Pickle and co will attempt to prove different..

I think you are confused. No court has yet determined that materials pertaining to the allegations against Tommy Shelton are inadmissible. What was determined is that we could not add two exhibits to what we had already filed, which we could only do with leave of court since briefing was already complete.

Adam

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2010, 07:50:20 PM »

Gregory:

A plea offer is never guaranteed. Plea bargaining is negotiation between the prosecutor and the defense attorney. The Supreme Court has held that a prosecutor can withdraw a plea offer at any time including on the courthouse steps, in the courtroom, during a recess of the court before the matter has been adjudicated, and even after the defendant has accepted the offer.

If you look it up, you can see that countless times the prosecution has withdrawn plea deals.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 07:55:30 PM by samuelthomas »
Billy Graham

tinka

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2010, 08:53:28 PM »

tinka...you crack me up!!

Some day I'd like to shake your hand!!

(smile) would like to meet you too.  :pals:

Gregory

• Veteran Member
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2010, 03:08:14 AM »

No.
[

I have never claimed to be correct 100% of the time.  I only call it as I see (understand) it and when I am shown to be  wrong I acknowledge it.  As I understand it, a plea bargain is between thre prosecutor, the defense and the judge.  Prior to the decision either the prosecutor or the defense may withdraw the plea bargain and go to trial.  Typically the judge has the power to reject the plea bargain.  I am not awarde of  the victims having the power to quash the plea bargain.

l acknowledge that Virginia law would govern, rather than Federal law.  If my statement was incorrect, please inform me as to the basis for telling me that I was wrong.  In any case, I am certainly not aware of being wrong.
Perhaps Virginia law allows such.

Gregory

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2010, 03:12:06 AM »

Gregory:

A plea offer is never guaranteed. Plea bargaining is negotiation between the prosecutor and the defense attorney. The Supreme Court has held that a prosecutor can withdraw a plea offer at any time including on the courthouse steps, in the courtroom, during a recess of the court before the matter has been adjudicated, and even after the defendant has accepted the offer.

If you look it up, you can see that countless times the prosecution has withdrawn plea deals.

I agree 100% with this statement.  You will note that I only stated that the vistims could not quash the plea bargain.  Then I qualified it bky sayin that Virginia law would govern.  NOTE:  My reference here includes further comments made after your first rebuttal to my first statement.

Gregory

• Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2010, 03:19:14 AM »

Using your own logic Gregory, how is it fair that Tommy can change his mind, but the victims cannot? I believe you should do some better research.

The courts claim to rule on the basis of the law, not on the basis of fairness.

Virginia law may allow the victims to inform the judge as to how the judge should rule.  As I have said, the juge can typically reject the plea bargain.  But, even if the victims may inform the judge of their wishes the decision is that of the judge.

Again, please enlighten me as to how I am wrong of the basis of law and/or rulings of a court that applies in this case.

NOTE: As I use the word "law" here I reference both case law and statute law.

Johann

« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2010, 03:47:11 AM »

Somehow I have a notion the local prosecutor will have a certain idea how the laws are applied in the state of Virginia. And that s/he will inform the victims involved in this case how things usually function. I doubt that prosecutor gets all the essential information by reading opinions expressed by members of AT. But certain members here could be better informed than others, not the least if they are involved in that particular case. Who knows?

Adam

• Veteran Member
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2010, 05:03:56 AM »

Gregory:
So technically the victims could as the prosecution to withdraw the plea deal, just as Tommy could as his attorneys too. Correct?

No.
[

I have never claimed to be correct 100% of the time.  I only call it as I see (understand) it and when I am shown to be  wrong I acknowledge it.  As I understand it, a plea bargain is between thre prosecutor, the defense and the judge.  Prior to the decision either the prosecutor or the defense may withdraw the plea bargain and go to trial.  Typically the judge has the power to reject the plea bargain.  I am not awarde of  the victims having the power to quash the plea bargain.

l acknowledge that Virginia law would govern, rather than Federal law.  If my statement was incorrect, please inform me as to the basis for telling me that I was wrong.  In any case, I am certainly not aware of being wrong.
Perhaps Virginia law allows such.
Billy Graham
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Up